We went with the Stogsdills this weekend to see Marley and Me, so I'm devoting much of this post (as you can tell from the pictures) to our 1st child. (Actually, Tulip is really our 2nd child..our 1st child, Oscar is in Heaven now.) But..for our intents, we'll consider her our 1st child.
Tulip is a 1 1/2 year old Golden Retriever. She is truly the SWEETEST dog I've ever been around..sure, she jumps on people when they walk in the door, and she likes to help out with the laundry sometimes, but overall, she is really a great dog. Her favorite activities are playing with her two friends Zoe and Lola, going on walks, and CUDDLING!!
People have asked us what we're going to do with her when Parker gets here..our response is NOTHING. Our plan is for life to go on as usual with both of them. We're certainly not going to make her an outside dog (she would be traumatized). We really think she'll fall in love with him, and they'll be best friends.
So..all you fellow dog lovers, if you have any suggestions on how to acclimate an inside dog to a new baby, please post under our comments section.
Also...I strongly suggest you go see Marley and Me. Being the nerd that I am, I recommend you read the book first and then go see the movie. Be prepared...there wasn't a dry eye on our row at the theater.

Tulip as a puppy (8/07)

This is how we told our families about Parker.

Tulip and Phillip (1/09)
Also-a short update on me: I'm 21 weeks pregnant and feeling great!!!! I have truly been blessed with a great pregnancy so far! He is moving all the time, and he's big enough now that Phillip can feel him move..that just makes it so much more special!
As we prepare for this baby, here is a conversation between the two of us:
Me: "What are we going to do if he's huge and eats all the time? How are we going to be able to afford to feed him?"
Phillip: "We'll just consider it an investment in his future NFL career."
He was dead serious....
Love it!! That is so something he would say! Such a sweet post, my only suggestion is to make sure you still make time for your first child. I have heard some people carry around a doll so they get used to having something else. It is an adjustment no matter how much you try to prepare them. I can't wait to see my dogs reaction when Calleigh goes after her the first time. Should be interesting.
ReplyDeletePhillip looks like he's holding a monster in that picture...can't wait to see you guys this wknd!!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your little guy! Boys are so much fun. Tulip will be fine...I had a couple of people tell me that while you're still in the hospital after giving birth, send a blanket home that Parker has been wrapped up in and let Tulip sniff it and get used to the smell before you come home. This worked for us. Although, our dog eats all of Joe's toys now. I think he's still jealous of Joe, but he's gentle with him even if he does pull his tail.
ReplyDeleteCongrats you guys!! I'm so excited for you both and can't wait to meet Parker!
ReplyDeleteJan