Our sweet boy!

Friday, April 6, 2012

Encouraging words from a complete stranger

I was off work today, but Phillip wasn't. So Parker and I headed "into town" (as we like to say) to pick up some new clothes and grab a cupcake (as a reward for trying to use the potty to go #2-it's still a battle). Anyway, we were in Belk and Parker was behaving like a typical two-almost-three year old. He almost climbed all over the bench in the dressing room, repeatedly slammed the dressing room door, and begged to go up and down the escalator. He almost knocked down a manican, but I caught it just in time and didn't realize the store manager was watching. He nicely said, "Good save, Mom." to which I explained for about the third time, "I usually don't bring him with me, but Daddy had to work today." When we were in the line to check out, Parker was being pretty whiney. A sweet lady beside me asked how old he was. Then she said the sweetest words, "Hang in there. You're doing a great job." That's what I needed to hear. No judgmental looks or criticism, just a sweet, "Hang in there."

3 comments:

  1. Seriously, did you have Drew with you that day? LOL My days exactly. Glad to hear this is a phase of the age they are at. What a nice lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I remember how those little words of encouragement mean, even coming from complete strangers. Lord knows it can be challenging at times and we all get those "looks" where you just want to hide but it feels so good to find that one person that gets it! You are doing a great job, Allyson! Parker's a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes that's all we need to hear. This too shall pass and I hear we will miss it...

    ReplyDelete